I started a solo podcast in January last year but little continuous reading meant I didn’t really have much content to keep it going.
I did enjoy recording with Simon, Kate and Rob. I’m glad I read Carol by Patricia Highsmith and got to discuss it on Hear…Read This! even if the episode turned out to be the last book we read before going on an unplanned hiatus.
I did read a few more books in 2016. I’ve listed below most of them below:
- Smilers Fair by Rebecca Levene
- Dark Intellegence by Neal Asher
- Daisy in Chains by Sharon Bolton
- A Climate of Fear by Fred Vargas
- The Autumn Republic by Brian McClellan
- The Lazarus War Bk1 & 2 by
- Fellside by Mike Carey
- The Four-Dimensional Human: Ways of Being in the Digital World by Laurence Scott
- The Life-Changing Magic of Not Giving a F**k by Sarah Knight
- The Hanging Tree by Ben Aaronvitch and narrated by Kobna Holdbrook-Smith
- The Theif of Time by Terry Pratchett and narrated by Stephen Briggs
- The Fifth Elephant by Terry Pratchett and narrated by Stephen Briggs
I’d happily recommend any of them.
The lack of reading didn’t stop me picking up books. I did pick up quite a few (aside from those that are sent by publishers):
- The Big Book of Science Fiction by Ann and Jeff VanderMeer
- The Dark Eidolon and Other Fantasies by Clark Ashton Smith
- The Sense of Style: The Thinking Person’s Guide to Writing in the 21st Century by Steven Pinker
- Uprooted by Naomi Novik
- Adventures in Human Being by Gavin Francis
- The Diet Myth by Tim Spector
- A Million Years in a Day: A Curious History of Daily Life by Greg Jenner
- Doctor Strange Vol. 2: The Last Days of Magic by Jason Aaron and Chris Bachalo
- The Story of Egypt by Joann Fletcher
- Sorcerer to the Crown (Sorcerer Royal Trilogy) by Zen Cho
- Jerusalem by Alan Moore
- The Almost Nearly Perfect People: Behind the Myth of the Scandinavian Utopia by Michael Booth
- Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah
- Things to Make and Do in the Fourth Dimension by Matt Parker
- The Dream-Quest of Vellitt Boe by Kij Johnson
- Spellbreaker: Book 3 of the Spellwright Trilogy (The Spellwright Trilogy, Book 3) by Blake Charlton
- The Ballad of Black Tom by Victor LaValle
- Sherlock Holmes and the Shadwell Shadows (The Cthulhu Casebooks) by James Lovesgrove
So I’ve got quite a few to look forward to in 2017.
Various things effected by mojo this year. Mostly my day job wiped out my concentration. But somehow my mojo just ebbed away.
It seems to be coming back slowly. I’ve got quite a few things on the go.
On Kindle I’m reading ‘The Queen of Eyes’, a novella by Rachel Pollack, which again features Jack Shade – a Traveller and not really a PI PI; and Life, the Universe and Everything by Douglas Adams, I don’t think I’ve read this before but it seems oddly familiar. On paper I have SQPR by Mary Beard has been slowly absorbed; and a reread of Savage Seasons by Joe R. Lansdale.
My notes show I started Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets read by Stephen Fry on the 2nd May and I’ve been listening to it on and off between my Pratchett rereads. But I’m now using it as my commute book and I’ve got a long trip tomorrow so I might finish it then
I’ll leave you with part of my reading pile for 2017 – Happy Reading Everyone.